Maryland Department of Transportation State Highway Administration (MDOT SHA) – Office of Planning and Preliminary Engineering (OPPE) – Environmental Planning Division (EPDL)
- Prepare NEPA Documentation
- Coordination with Federal and State Agencies, Project Sponsors
- Project Tracking
- GIS Mapping
Coastal Resources, Inc. (CRI), under supervision from the prime engineering in-house consultant, is completing National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (NEPA) documentation including environmental documents, technical reports, reevaluations, and other supporting documentation for various MDOT SHA projects including Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP), Safe Routes to School (SRTS), and SHA’s County and Local Government Program.
The EPLD of the OPPE ensures MDOT compliance with NEPA and Maryland Environmental Policy Act (MEPA) to uphold the protection, maintenance, and enhancement of the environment.
CRI staff acts as an extension of MDOT SHA Environmental Planning staff and assists with the following tasks:
- Prepares NEPA Documentation – Performs desktop review of project area for resources including Section 4(f), historic, community/cultural, public involvement, noise, air quality, natural resources, climate change impact areas, etc. and summarizes potential impacts in Programmatic Categorical Exclusions (PCEs) or Categorical Exclusions (CEs).
- Coordination with Federal and State Agencies, Project Sponsors – Completes endangered species project reviews through USFWS’ Information for Planning and Conservation system (IPaC) in addition to SHA/DNR Trilogy Letter applications.
- Project Tracking – Monitors the progress of projects and provides updates to prime engineering consultant.
- GIS Mapping – Digitizes project areas and gathers data to create maps including location maps, sea level change maps, historic resource maps, Critical Area maps, etc. for PCE attachments.